Butterfly Kisses Valentine Card
By: Bonnie Schiedel
Average User Rating:
Kids love to give butterfly kisses (a flutter of eyelashes against a cheek). This cute and easy butterfly-inspired card is a great way to send a Valentine kiss to a grandparent or caregiver.
What you'll need:
- White cardstock cut to 5 ½” x 8 1/2”
- Scraps of patterned pink paper
- Scrap of patterned brown paper
- Pink cardstock
- Black or brown fine-tip marker
- Adhesive such as double-sided sticky tape, glue stick, liquid glue or mini glue dots
How to make it:
- Fold white cardstock in half.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut two teardrop-shaped pieces, about 2 inches long, from the pink patterned paper. These are the top wings of the butterfly.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut two more teardrop-shaped pieces, about 1.5 inches long, from the pink patterned paper. These are the bottom wings of the butterfly.
- Use your scissors to freehand cut a strip of brown patterned paper, about 2 ¼ inches long. Round one end and make the other end pointed. This is the body of your butterfly.
- Glue the teardrop pieces to the white cardstock, pointy side to the middle. Glue the body over top of the wings.
- Use the fine-tip marker to draw curly antennae.
- Stamp, write or print off “Sending you butterfly kisses on Valentine's Day!” on the pink cardstock. Cut out and glue to the white cardstock on an angle.
- Chose white cardstock with a bit of fleck pattern to it—it's more interesting than plain white cardstock.
- Keep an eye out for different sources of paper and cardstock. For example, the patterned paper of the butterfly is actually from a magazine ad (printed on a card like a magazine subscription card) that shows the new tweed patterns of a widely available pair of canvas tennis shoes.
- Thinner cardstock (which is also less expensive) tends to work better in home printers. Look for it at office supply stores.
- To give the feeling of a fluttering butterfly, choose a font that has the letters following a wave pattern, rather than a straight line.
Quick switch This card could easily be made into a birthday card by simply changing the message. Have fun experimenting with different paper colors too.