Conversation Heart Mailbox
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 6 and up
Average User Rating:
Parental supervision is recommended
Need a creative way to collect your Valentine's Day cards this year? Try making this great box, perfect for a girl or a boy--your friends will love it!
What you'll need:
- Cereal box
- Construction paper: red, blue, white and pink
- Glitter glue: blue, pink, purple, orange, red
- White craft glue
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter (optional)
- Heart-shaped craft foam
How to make it:
- Cut cereal box in half, keeping the bottom half. Reserve the remaining cardboard for another project.
- Cover the entire box with red construction paper using white craft glue.
- Trace cookie cutters, or draw freehand, to create hearts from blue, white and pink construction paper. You will need two of each color for a total of six.
- Use glitter glue to write short phrases or acronyms on the hearts. Some examples might include "kiss me," "BFF (best friends forever)," "luv you," "hug me," "be mine," and "cutie."
- Allow the glitter glue to dry completely, this can take several hours.
- Glue three hearts, one of each color, to one side of the box, overlapping the hearts, tops of the hearts should stick out above the top of the box. (See image 1 and image 2.) Repeat on the other side.
- Glue foam hearts to the sides of the box. (See image.)
- Craft foam is available in sheets or in packs of precut shapes.
- Save cardboard snack and cereal boxes for hundreds of different craft projects!
- Buy construction paper in large variety packs to have on hand for impromptu projects.